The E.G.O. Project (Electronic Graphic Organizers)

The EGO project blog is a communication venue for the research into Electronic Graphic Organizers. It will be used to provide a place for collecting the names of various software packages and then have users provide input into their applications.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Active vs. Passive Graphic Organizers

While creating a list of Electronic Graphic Organizers, I realized that there is a distinction between Graphic Organizers that I hadn't considered.

Graphic organizers are tools that are used to graphically show the relationships between ideas or concepts.  

This is usually done in an active manner that involves the user doing the listing and organizing of the various ideas.

The advent of technology and web has provided a manner in which the relationships are already created for the user.  This is a passive manner for the user. The two relational organizers that were listed in the previous posting on this blog are both passive.

These organizers: liveplasma and visualthesaurus, are definitely passive.

I would imagine that these could also be considered “reference” organizers so that a learner can get the “lay of the land” and then use the active organizers to structure his/her own understanding of the content.

Z

3 Comments:

Blogger assistivetek said...

Hi Leigh:

I have been a long time Inspiration user and teach others how to use it as part of graduate and undergraduate courses in assistive technology and the College of St. Elizabeth where I teach in Morristown, NJ. I find that my students really enjoy the program and see lots of uses for it in the classrooms where they teach. I have been playing around with MindManger 6 for the Mac and NovaMind on Macintosh. Both have some unique features. I would be interested in the comments of others that are using both of these programs.

Brian

3:47 PM  
Blogger Alan Yoshioka said...

Could you view the passive organizers as a knowledge base and somehow tie it to the active when creating maps? I could see where this may be the answer for applications that I have been searching for ... there is a need to create a knowledge base, as shown by the del.icio.us burgeoning use ... but to be able to tie it in "passively" with a structure project or idea would be killer ....

11:34 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Alan (Comment comment for my previous posting) makes some good connections between the active and passive maps. I must admit that I don't quite his last sentence where he talks about "being able to tie it in "passively" with a structure project or idea would be killer ...."

Please explain more about this.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home